Hinckley's 4th Annual Soap Box Derby saw 36 Teams race against the clock down Castle Street in Hinckley Town centre. Many photos and videos have already been posted on You-Tube and the electronic footfall radar registered 7500 visitors throughout the day.
Some of the timings were fantastic - and hearty congratulations to Neil Nutting and his Pit Crew from Nutty's Speed Shop for winning both the Fastest Single Time AND the Overall Fastest Team (Professional). If this was an Olympic Sport, they would certainly be in with a chance! Neil was closely followed by Nissan in second place, Cummins Engines in 3rd with previous winners (twice!) Deason Joinery a very close 4th.
Congratulations to all the juniors for their courage and skill, especially the lad who took quite a tumble at the chicane but came smiling through it all - and of course to Nigel Brumby who brought Planet Express all the way from Lincolnshire raising money for that very worthy cause, Macmillan Cancer. Only 2 seconds behind the senior is a very high standard.
Every Team must be congratulated on the standard of their vehicles - some were superbly crafted in engineering workshops and others lovingly assembled at home with nails, glue and string. All were a real credit to their owners - and who could fail to be entertained by Clarks Shoes and their athletic Scooby Doo - and of course the delightful Penelope Pitstop from the Charity MIND Furniture.
Below are the Trophy Winners - once again, congratulations to them all.
- Fastest single time on the day (Senior - ages 18+) - Neil Nutting
- Fastest single time on the day (Junior - ages 12-17 incl) - Castle Street Clowns
- Best turned out soap box and crew - Castle Steet Clowns
- Overall fastest team (an average of the 2 best runs) Professional - Neil Nutting
- Overall Fastest Team (an average of the best 2 runs) Amateur - Doug Peel
- Most sponsorship collected - (Not Yet Awarded- awaiting information from Contestants)
- Best Novelty soap box - MIND Furniture
- Most Enthusiastic Junior Racer (voted by the Stewards) - Dan the Man
- 1st Nutty's Speed Shop 20.4
- 2nd Nissan - 20.45
- 3rd Cummins Engines 20.485
- 1st Castle St Clowns - 22.64
- 2nd Team Bullet - Charnwood College - 23.255
- 3rd Dan the Man - 23.925
Finally, our grateful thanks to all the Events Assistants and First Aiders for their help on the day, and in particular to our Mayor and her Consort, to Gary Shepherd and Dean, Rosemary Wright, Jim Darleston, Gary Bird and Glen Patterson with his colleague Andrew and to Colin Fisher for providing the hay bales - without this 'Team Spirit' such events would be impossible to organise and run.
Our next event is the Hinckley Classic Motorshow, to be held in Hinckley Town centre on Sunday September 22nd. Last year, more than 300 aged vehicles of all types together with a few ultra-modern wonders turned up and from the enquiries already received for this year we are confident of a great turnout. There is no charge to either exhibitors or spectators. For more information on that Event and many others, for special offers for Hinckley Loyalty Card Holders and to see details of nearly 400 Town Centre Businesses.